This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting livglutenfree!
These gluten free mini egg rice crispy treats are the perfect dessert for Easter. Kids and adults alike will love their crunchy texture with a kick of chocolate mini eggs!
These gluten-free mini egg rice crispy treats are the perfect Easter dessert! Crunchy, chewy, and chocolatey - they're a hit with kids, teens, adults alike.
Did you buy the kilogram bag of mini eggs this year and can't stop eating them by the handful? I had the same problem, so I decided to turn a delicious treat into an even more delicious homemade snack or dessert.
Based off of my BEST rice crispy treat recipe, these mini egg rice crispy treats have the perfect ratio of marshmallow to chocolate to crispy rice cereal. Seriously! No rice crispy bricks here.
Want to learn how to make these delicious gluten-free mini egg rice crispy treats in just 10 minutes of hands-on time? Keep on reading!
Ingredients you need
I love rice crispy treats because of how few ingredients they require and how quick they are to make. So little time for so much reward! Here's what you need:
- Butter: Makes these rice crispy treats extra delicious and sticky. In my classic rice crispy recipe, I note that you can substitute dairy-free butter if needed. However, since the mini eggs contain dairy themselves, this recipe is not dairy-free.
- Mini marshmallows: Any brand of mini marshmallows will do for this recipe, but it is important that they're mini. They melt faster and I love the texture of having some whole marshmallow chunks in the treats. Adding additional mini marshmallows in with the rice cereal is the way to do it.
- Vanilla extract: Really makes the treats sing. Just a splash of vanilla extract enhances the sweet marshmallow flavour and will take these rice crispy treats to the next level.
- Crispy rice cereal: My pick for this recipe is the Nature's Path Organic crispy rice. It is certified gluten-free which I appreciate. It's sad that the original Kellogg's Rice Krispies are not gluten-free, as they contain malt flavouring which is made from barley.
- Mini eggs: Because they make these rice crispy treats even better! Festive for Easter time, this recipe is a great way to use up some mini eggs. This recipe uses some crushed mini eggs incorporated into the bars as well as whole ones on top for garnish and deliciousness.
How to make them
The thing I love most about these mini egg rice crispy treats is how they come together with only about 10 minutes of hands-on work. From start to finish, you could be snacking on these treats in just over an hour!
The first thing you want to do is measure out all of your ingredients and crush most of the mini eggs. These treats will come together fast so you want to have all of your quantities ready to go. This is why I love my Pyrex glass mixing bowl set and mini mis-en-place bowls.
Once ready to go, combine the butter with the majority of the mini marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between intervals with a greased spatula until fully melted.
Once melted, add in the vanilla extract and stir again with the greased spatula.
After melting the wet mixture, quickly add in all of the crispy rice cereal with the remaining mini marshmallows and crushed mini eggs. Stir with your greased spatula to coat everything.
Pour and spread the entire mixture into a parchment-lined 9x9 baking dish. I like to coat my rubber spatula or my hands with coconut oil and firmly press the rice crispy treats into the pan. You want to make sure you compress them enough that they will hold together, and not so much that they turn into one big brick (which is not very likely for this recipe in my experience, just a warning).
Once nicely shaped in the pan, top with some whole mini eggs and let the rice crispy treats sit to cool for about 1 hour.
After this time, you can remove the entire parchment from the pan, and carefully slice the treats into 16 squares. One square is considered one serving.
Enjoy your gluten-free mini egg rice crispy treats for Easter!
To store, place the rice crispy treats in an air-tight container, with parchment pieces in between vertical stacks to prevent sticking. They will keep at room temperature for up to 4 days. After that time, they may begin to get a bit crisp and stale, but still delicious! Although I can't foresee them lasting that long.
And there you have it, a springtime Easter dessert that is gluten-free, easy and delicious. These mini egg rice crispy treats are perfect as a snack or even as a dessert centrepiece. Kid-friendly and adult-friendly, these are sure to fly off your countertop!
Have you made these gluten-free mini egg rice crispy treats? Leave a comment below and tag me on instagram @liv.glutenfree!
Looking for more springtime recipes? Check these out!
Mini Egg Rice Crispy Treats (Gluten-Free)
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 + ¾ cups mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal Nature's Path Organic is great
- 1 cup mini eggs, crushed
- 16 whole mini eggs to top
- Measure out all ingredients and crush the mini eggs. It's easy to do if you put them into a plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. These mini egg rice crispy treats come together quickly so having everything portioned out will help.
- Place the butter and 4 cups of mini marshmallows in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with a greased rubber spatula in between, until completely melted.
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter-marshmallow mixture. Stir with the spatula to combine. Pour in the crispy rice cereal with the remaining ¾ cup mini marshmallows and crushed mini eggs.
- Mix with a greased spatula until everything is fully coated. Pour into a parchment-lined 9x9 baking dish.
- Rub coconut oil on your clean hands and press the rice crispy mixture into the pan. I find that using my hands is easiest, and the coconut oil prevents sticking. Be sure to pack them down. Top with whole mini eggs. Let cool and rest for 1 hour to firm up. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy!