This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting livglutenfree!
You won't believe this creamy mushroom sauce is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan! Pairs perfectly with pasta, meat, or vegetables.
Would you believe that this mushroom cream sauce is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan? Not to mention super quick and easy to make with ingredients you probably already have!
This recipe was inspired by a phase I had with the new fresh pastas from an Ontario grocery chain, Farmboy. They launched a whole bunch of fresh gluten-free pastas including spaghetti, rigatoni, and 2 types of ravioli. If you're gluten-free, you know how rare it is to find not only fresh pasta, but fresh ravioli.
Naturally I had to try all the flavours, but when I saw the mushroom ricotta ravioli, I thought a mushroom cream sauce would pair perfectly with it. Although the ravioli (which is amazing) is not dairy-free, I wanted to keep this recipe easily vegan because I know how hard it is to find or make creamy sauces!
This vegan mushroom cream sauce pairs perfectly with pasta, vegetables, or meats like chicken and steak (if you're a meat eater). Want to learn how to make it? Keep on reading.
If you typically cook dairy-free, you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry to make this vegan mushroom cream sauce. Here's what you'll need:
- Raw, unsalted cashews: Cashews act as the "cream" in this sauce. They are my favourite dairy-free cream replacement as they are very mild in taste. When soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes then blended, the cashews become wonderfully silky and creamy.
- Vegan butter or olive oil: Pick your favourite to sauté the mushrooms!
- Cremini mushrooms: Because it's a mushroom cream sauce! You could also add more types of mushrooms or pick your favourites.
- Garlic: Gives the sauce a depth of flavour.
- Thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper: You've got to season the sauce! Feel free to add more or less of the spices, but I recommend these to take this sauce to the next level.
- Vegetable broth: Helps to thin out the sauce and the broth adds more flavour.
- (Vegan) parmesan: I write (vegan) in brackets here because if you're just lactose intolerant like me, sometimes a little parm is worth it because it's super low in lactose. But if you're vegan or dairy-free, using a vegan parmesan is absolutely good! I've yet to find one I really like though. If you've got a goodie - let me know!
The final ingredients are whatever you choose to serve this with! I recommend:
- A hearty gluten-free pasta such as ravioli, penne, fettuccine, rigatoni, etc.
- Grilled vegetables
- Mashed potatoes
- Grilled chicken or steak
Or anything else you desire to have paired with this delicious creamy mushroom sauce!
How to make vegan mushroom cream sauce
This sauce comes together very quickly. The "prep time" of 30 minutes is entirely hands off - simply measure out your raw cashews into a bowl, cover with boiling water, and walk away for 30 minutes.
When you're ready to make the sauce, I recommend blending up the cashew cream first, because things move quickly when the sauce starts cooking. After soaking, drain the cashews and blend up with fresh water. You want to ensure that you blend for at least 1-2 minutes so that your cashew cream can be as smooth and silky as possible. Set aside for now.
Heat up the vegan butter or olive oil in a large sized skillet on medium-high heat. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes until they brown and shrink a bit.
Bring the heat down to medium-low. Add in the garlic and spices and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Then add in the vegetable broth and cashew cream, stirring to fully incorporate. Use more or less broth to get the sauce to your desired consistency. Cook for 3 minutes. Lastly, add some (vegan) parmesan and stir to melt into the sauce.
All you have to do now is decide what to do with it! You can make the entire sauce in the time that pasta would take to cook. If using pasta, add straight to the sauce with a little pasta water to fully coat the noodles. Alternatively, spoon the sauce onto vegetables or meat. Serve immediately. The sauce will thicken as it cools. I hope you enjoy!
This vegan mushroom cream sauce is sure to impress vegans and non-vegans alike! A gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan recipe – anyone you serve will be able to enjoy this sauce as a part of a delicious meal!
Have you made this vegan mushroom cream sauce? Be sure to leave a comment telling me how much you loved it, and tag me on instagram @liv.glutenfree! I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
Looking for more gluten-free & dairy-free pasta recipes? Check these out!
Vegan Mushroom Cream Sauce
- ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked in boiling water for 30+ minutes
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 package sliced cremini mushrooms 227g
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup (vegan) parmesan
- 4 servings your favourite pasta if cooking with pasta, ravioli goes great
- Begin by soaking the cashews in boiling water at least 30 minutes before cooking. When ready to cook, drain the cashews and add to a high-speed blender along with the ½ cup water. Blend for 2 minutes until silky smooth and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the vegan butter or olive oil. Add the entire package of mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the garlic and spices. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth and cashew cream. Use more or less broth to get the sauce to your desired consistency. Stir to fully incorporate and cook for 3 minutes. Add the (vegan) parmesan at the end and stir to melt.
- Serve as a side sauce or add your favourite pasta to the skillet and stir. Serve immediately. Enjoy!